Monday, February 16, 2015

More Off-Road Adventures


I think on an earlier page I talked about Fort Cummings and the two soldiers who were out on patrol. Indians attacked and one was killed instantly.  The other somehow managed to ride back to the fort (it's 8 miles and very rough country).   I am clueless as to the symbolism of the coins left on the grave marker.  Maybe someone at the park knows.






The weather has turned cloudy, windy, and chilly so rides are temporarily suspended.  I drove into Las Cruces yesterday to pick up the side mirrors and a cover for the Honda and also bought a trailer to haul it.  Next week it has to go into the Service Department for its initial maintenance work.

13 February
Another beautiful (if a bit windy and chilly) day here.  Today's destination was the top of Little Florida mountain (Little Floridas), where many, many communications towers are located (including the one which supplies the park's WiFi).  Since this area is not adjacent to the park, the rigs had to be loaded onto trailers/pickup beds.  (I was a passenger this day as I am not yet a good enough driver to try this trail.)



We wandered around on the trails at the base of the mountain, trying to find where the road UP was located.  At last we found it.  Not much at the top but these communication towers at multiple locations.




Deming in the distance.




The afternoon was getting short so we came back down, found our way back to the trucks/trailers and proceeded to load the rigs.  That's where things got interesting.





One of the ramps slipped as Gilbert was driving his 4-wheeler up to the truck bed.  Fortunately, he wasn't hurt and neither was the rig.  More adventure than I wanted for the day.

We went to Switchback yesterday but I forgot my camera.  I drove my Honda since it is a less challenging trail than the one at Little Florida.


No comments:

Post a Comment