Saturday, February 28, 2015

And More Off-Road Adventures

19  Feb Thursday

The Honda was due for its initial maintenance check-up so I enlisted some help, got it loaded up on my new trailer, and headed for Las Cruces.


Things went perfectly, right up to about five miles from the park on the way home.   Jeep overheated.  GGGRRRRR.  A call to Good Sam's roadside assistance for a tow, two hours later I got home.  When I bought the Jeep, I bought a service contract, 48 months.  The dealership checked and repairs for the shot fan motor will be covered.  I think I have a deductible but better than paying the whole thing.


21 Feb Saturday

We were spoiled by last week's beautiful weather.  Now we have more typical NM spring:  WIND WIND WIND and it's chilly.  Nonetheless our fearless team ventures forth.

Local wisdom says that the snakes appear after the small lizards.  So much for local wisdom.  See photo below.
Captain Bill the great snake handler.
We pulled into a small box canyon to get out of the wind.  Bill and Winston (Bill is the human, Winston is the dog) wandered over close to the canyon wall.  And then the chilling sound of the rattlesnake.  Fortunately the snake was sluggish or Bill and Winston would both have gotten nailed.  Bill and Mike both carry a sidearm and, after a volley of shots, dispatched the snake.  Note to self:  it's time to keep both dogs on leashes.  I have been letting them roam around during stops on the off-road trips.  

Did you know there is a vaccine for rattlesnake venom?  I talked to the vet here in Deming (a K-State graduate) about it.  He said my dogs are so small that the vaccine probably wouldn't do them any good.

Days later:

Well, another cow got hit two nights ago on the road into the ranch.  After dark, the ranch road is pitch black if there isn't a full moon.  Another park resident slammed into a cow in the dark.  That's two in the past couple of months.  I hope the rancher who owns these cattle considers it an acceptable risk to graze his stock on BLM unfenced land.  Fortunately, no one was injured (except, of course, for the cow).

I am still waiting to get the Jeep back.  Parts arrived in Deming yesterday (Tuesday).  The dealership is supposed to call me today to give me an updated report.  I will have to find someone to give me a ride into Deming so I can pick up the Jeep...and buy groceries...and gas...  I am out of nearly everything since I was planning a supplies run for last Friday.

Update

Got the Jeep back yesterday (Friday).  I paid $136.16 of a $900+ repair bill.  The service contract almost paid for itself in one repair.  Now...my hot water heater in the Hitchhiker has quit working. Can I please have just one month when everything works?




1 comment:

  1. Great post!I m love visiting in your blog...i will come back soon
    Plots in Ranchi

    ReplyDelete