Thursday, January 29, 2015

Weather is even more changeable than KS



During last week's blast of Arctic weather, one of my neighbors was shooting photos of the storm.  I walked into his shot with the two very cold dogs.

It seems strange to see snow on the cactus.


27 January

A perfectly glorious day here in the desert.  One of my neighbors swung by in a 4x4 
and gave me a ride.  See photos.  It was difficult to come inside as it started getting dark.  Made me think of all those summer days when we stayed out to play chalk rabbit or kick the can until Mom finally came out and got us.

Steve (left) and Mike



Muppet and Lola

Note the pink grenade in the lower right corner of the windshield.

January 28

Was invited to join a group going 4-wheeling.  What a fun trip!  I would not have believed that Larry's Geo Tracker could do the things he made it do.  

My limo - the white Geo Tracker


Several stops along the way.  This was the first one.


Spiral and diamonds - looks like New Grange in Ireland

Is this a pregnant coyote?
Grinding holes

More spirals


We went through Massacre Canyon and then on to Fort Cummings.  This is roughly the route of the Butterfield Stage through this territory.



The Butterfield Overland Stage Line stopped at the fort.


Source of water for the fort and the stage line.

The spring house.



Spring is still in use.
Remains of the US Cavalry's corral. Pipes brought water from the spring house.

Four troopers killed by Apaches.




 History of the Mormon Battalion









2 comments:

  1. So have you bought a 4x4 side by side yet? Looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the memories. I still can't believe how cold it gets there. Last Winter I was miserable, because I expected it to be mild in Deming.

    ReplyDelete